Sunday, January 24, 2010

Artist of the Day: Barton Carroll

Barton Carroll is likely to have had a hand in something you heard before, though you may be unfamiliar with his name. He's toured and/or recorded with a number of folk-rock bands such as Crooked Fingers, Azure Ray and Dolorean - and now he's got a sizable catalog of his own material, including his latest and fourth album, Together You and I. This is the first I've heard from Carroll and I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed, especially by his songwriting, which is sometimes emotive and personal, and at other times clever and witty, but always evocative. Highlights include the story of young love, "The Poor Boy Can't Dance," a tale of a younger brother's jealousy, "Shadowman" and the hilariously clever "Past Tense," though each of the songs add to the album's remarkably charming nature.

The ten tracks of Together You and I make for an enjoyably old-fashioned folk record that should definitely appeal to more than just genre junkies like myself, and at a pay-what-you-want price at his website, I recommend picking it up to give yourself an introduction to the considerably talented Barton Carroll.

MySpace

0 comments: