Monday, December 27, 2010

Best of 2010: Albums









It's definitely time to unveil my picks for the best albums of the year. I'm just doing 25 this year (though really I think I could have done 100 if I had all the time in the world) and I'm not going to bother writing a blurb about each or finding all the artwork, mostly because I'm lazy.

If you want to read more about my top 10 picks, you can find a beautifully arranged article I wrote over at In Review Online. Also, you would do well to visit InRO for top 10 features from Sam Mac and Jordon Cronk, who are both superb writers with very unique tastes in music:

My Top 10 albums feature

Jordan Cronk's top 10 albums
Sam C. Mac's top 10 albums

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for (I'm sure):


1. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

2. The Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt / Sometimes the Blues Is Just a Passing Bird

3. Janelle MonĂ¡e - The ArchAndroid

4. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

5. Will Stratton - New Vanguard Blues

6. Owen Pallett - Heartland

7. The Black Keys - Brothers

8. Mavis Staples - You Are Not Alone

9. White Denim - Last Day of Summer

10. Josh Ritter - So Runs the World Away

11. Menomena - Mines
12. Robyn - Body Talk
13. Wolf Parade - Expo 86
14. Baths - Cerulean
15. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
16. Maps & Atlases - Perch Patchwork
17. Spoon - Transference
18. Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot...The Son of Chico Dusty
19. Patty Griffin - Downtown Church
20. Anais Mitchell - Hadestown
21. Villagers - Becoming a Jackal
22. Woods - At Echo Lake
23. David Karsten Daniels & Fight the Big Bull - I Mean to Live Here Still
24. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
25. Cloud Cult - Light Chasers


Feel free to tell me how inspired my choices are or argue if you feel the need. Keep in mind that there are some albums I've omitted from this list because I can't stand them (Best Coast's Crazy for You, for example) and a few that I probably should have heard that I haven't yet. I guess what I'm admitting here is that these technically aren't the best albums of 2010 by any standard, just mine.

0 comments: